Reports and Publications
A tight economy and state funding cuts have slowed land conservation in North Carolina in recent years. But the need to protect our state’s undeveloped natural areas is as urgent as ever.
Land for Tomorrow’s reports look at the conservation successes we’ve enjoyed in the recent past, and lay out ambitious but achievable goals for land and water protection for our future.
The Time is Now
"The Time is Now: An Assessment of Conservation Funding Needs in North Carolina" – Released March 2021. Full report
A Plan to Secure Our Conservation Future
‘Saving the Goodliest Land’
In 2005, Land for Tomorrow released “Saving the Goodliest Land: A Five-Year Plan for Investing in North Carolina’s Land, History and Future.” This study laid out the coalition’s initial recommendations for protecting critical water, farmland, parks and trails, gamelands, and other areas of natural and cultural importance to all North Carolinians.
Our recommendations evolve as the economy, the environment and other circumstances change. But “Saving the Goodliest Land” is still a valuable resource for understanding the threats to our state’s unique natural and cultural heritage, and what we can do to address those threats.
- Executive Summary
- Main Report
- Appendices A-D: Economy/Jobs, Public Health/Safety, Quality of Life
- Appendix E: Land Conservation Financing Study
- Appendix F: Land & Facility Needs for Local Parks & Recreation
- Appendix G: Survey of Farmland Owners
- Appendix H: Poll of Voters on Environmental Issues
- Appendix I: State Conservation Spending 1999-2004
Download other reports, polls, studies and other research collected by Land for Tomorrow for information about North Carolina’s natural heritage and what North Carolinians are willing to do to protect it.
- Voters overwhelmingly support land and water conservation – 2017 Poll / News Release
- Voters Support Conservation Spending, Policy – 2011 Poll / News Release
- NC’s Return on Conservation Investment – 2011 Report / Summary
- Unfulfilled Promise: The Million Acres Initiative – 2010 Report
- Voters Support Conservation Funding – 2009 Poll / News Release
- Housing Density: Rural to Suburban in Less Than a Century – 2007 Report